Pages

Saturday 4 December 2010

The Need for Self-Talk – Part 7

The Heart Connection

The good thing about Inquiry (also known as The Work) is that you get an immediate response from within yourself, from your subconscious mind to your conscious mind; a connection is made and a response is given. However, with Self-Talk, there hardly ever seems to be a connection within yourself, as far as I am aware. Sometimes I “tune-in” to the Self-Talk recording, but more often than not, I seem to “tune-out”. I suppose you could say that you are not consciously aware of the impact it is having on your subconscious mind – but the subconscious mind is being re-programmed – even though you don’t feel it. To be honest, I’m not entirely sure what the truth is with this.

I must say that there are times when I listen to Self-Talk and it’s as if I really need to hear it – I listen to it consciously and revel in each word spoken. This typically happens when I get anxious about something, but do not question it with The Work, for one reason or another. In such cases, it’s as if the anxiety literally clings to me – even the next day. I can experience a similar sense of relief to using Inquiry, when I listen to some motivating Self-Talk. However, I would never advocate the use of Self-Talk alone as a substitute for Inquiry, but as a supplement to it.

Then there are the times when I feel overwhelmed with anxiety over something – at such times, I just seem to be oblivious to any Self-Talk I listen to. When I’m really anxious about something, I need to use Releasing or Inquiry to find freedom from it.

Conclusion

It’s just early days now: I’ve only been using Self-Talk for a few weeks and I can’t say that I’ve noticed a great deal of improvement and I can’t say that I have accomplished any goals because of it. But it seems to be quite convincing and compelling. Who knows if this will turn out to be yet another self-help fad that gets consigned to history?

I feel that the 15 year period since I last used Self-Talk has taught me a great deal. I have tried to express many of the things I’ve learned during that time under the affirmations tag. But I am aware of the fact that life is a journey that each of us need to encounter. It is difficult to learn the lessons of life from a book, or otherwise from someone else’s writings. You can learn some guidelines from a book, such as parenting or car maintenance – but the very skills of life itself – that kind of wisdom can only be experienced.

Hopefully, I am now older and wiser and having fallen foul of the excesses of affirmations and goal-setting and other unrealistic promises that self-help teaching seems to convey – I can now make good use of affirmations, through Self-Talk, in conjunction with Releasing, and especially, Inquiry.

0 comments:

Post a Comment