Pages

Friday 3 December 2010

The Need for Self-Talk – Part 6

Goal-Setting and Being Organised

Self-Talk seems to be heavily goal-oriented and a lot of scripts in the book, The Self Talk Solution, contain statements about achieving goals.  Goal-setting requires that a person focus on something desired in the future.  For me, I see this as a guaranteed formula for anxiety.  I am now more inclined to veer away from setting goals and I tend to concentrate on experiencing peace of mind in the moment.  This necessitates focusing my mind on the everyday life, here-and-now things which are in front of me.  Goal setting invites fantasy which more often than not leads to disappointment.

But now that I have returned to Self-Talk, I am becoming more convinced of the positive effects of goal-setting.  But as Shad points out in his books – there is a need to set simple and realistic goals.  This, I believe, could help a person to be more organised and effective, as well as creating a sense of achievement upon the accomplishment of a goal.

Positive minded people often set goals and achieve them – but it is something of an automatic process with them.  I’m not entirely sure that negative minded people can artificially re-create the effects of goal-setting and get it to work for them.  I suppose I just need to find the right balance between what is realistic and achievable and what is nothing more than speculation or fantasy.

Another thing that I had a hard time accepting in Shad’s books was that he often emphasises being in control of your life.  No one is in perfect control of their life.  Unexpected things quite often happen to the most organised, successful and positive-minded people – and there is often nothing they can do to prevent it or control it.  Trying to control circumstances is probably one of the biggest causes of anxiety.

Positive minded people don’t go around planning every little detail of their lives – they often trust in others and in life to make things go well for them.  Positive people often allow life to unfold as it does, and as it does, they deal with whatever arises in the moment.  Nevertheless, positive minded people also tend to be a great deal more organised, efficient and self-controlled than negative-minded people.  Therefore, I am inclined to go along with Shad’s Self-Talk statements about being in control of my life – if it means becoming calm, organised, efficient, punctual and self-disciplined.

0 comments:

Post a Comment