Pages

Friday 3 December 2010

The Need for Self-Talk – Part 1

As I have no doubt repeated time and again on this blog: I believe that The Work of Byron Katie and The Sedona Method are the best self-help methods I have ever used – they are simple to use and you can feel the effect of it straight away. I tend nowadays to favour The Work.

A Lack of Permanent Results

But I have found that after about three years of doing The Work, the anxiety still comes back – even after questioning the same anxious thought numerous times. I value each session of inquiry as no two sessions are exactly the same: I find that I often gain new insight and see things from a slightly different perspective, the second or third time I question a thought. But I have also found that after questioning a persistent anxious thought a few times – the same insight and responses present themselves, time and again.

A little while ago I came up with the brilliant idea of concentrating on questioning my most prolific and stressful thoughts. I reasoned that if I could reach the point of a natural “no” response to question one – then I would experience a significant shift towards a permanent state of peace and joy. But it would seem that as soon as I reached my goal of question-one-no to some of the toughest stressful thoughts – they would emerge again and I would experience hardly any difference to my natural state.

Up until recently I did The Work almost every day: I would do a session of inquiry while in the shower getting ready for work at the office in the morning. Then, I would typically do two inquiry sessions back-to-back when I got home in the evening. I would usually experience the same sense of freedom each time I reached the turnaround; I would also find myself becoming consciously aware of the same things during my sessions as well.

It can be the most bizarre thing to find yourself getting stressed all over again over a belief that you know is not true, a belief that you have already questioned through inquiry several times. It is almost as if your mind develops some sort of amnesia when you experience anxiety, as you find yourself completely losing conscious awareness of the fact that you can indeed have this or that or that you don’t need that thing whatsoever (not in this present moment anyway).

A List of Reminders and Affirmations

The lack of permanent results got me thinking of alternative solutions – something that I could possibly use in conjunction with my inquiry sessions to make its effect more long-lasting. I considered the fact that it was as if I needed to use some sort of quick and easy method of taking the recurring, salient points from my inquiry sessions and reviewing them. Perhaps I could record some of my sessions on a portable voice recorder, listen to them and then make a note of the things that keep on turning up. Then, I could read this list to myself every morning. This method, I reasoned, would be a lot quicker that inquiry and would be almost as effective. After all, it seemed that quite a bit of my inquiry sessions were just repetition and waffle.

It was during this time that it struck me how similar this proposed list of reminders was to affirmations. I had dabbled with affirmations in the past – just like most self-help advocates. I remember getting off to an enthusiastic start with affirmations, but then my enthusiasm trailed-off as it seemed like it was not working. Like many other people who have used affirmations, I tried to believe and attract all sorts of outrageous things. I suppose it did not help when most self-help gurus were in the habit of giving people way-out, miraculous testimonies.

I think it’s worse for charismatic Christians, because there are always evangelists who give them pep-talks based on some miraculous event in the Bible – such as Jesus walking on the water or Moses parting the Red Sea.

It goes without saying that I was now rather reluctant to return to affirmations. This led me to really think about why affirmations did not work – much of this pondering of mine went into the Why Affirmations Don’t Work series on this blog, which I have grouped together under the affirmations tag.

0 comments:

Post a Comment