Pages

Sunday 28 November 2010

Why Affirmations Don’t Work – Part 10

The Real Prize in Goal-Setting

I believe that there is a positive side to goal-setting, which I have experienced recently.

For about ten years now I have been interested in learning another language. I love the French language so I have been trying to learn that. French is probably the easiest language for me to learn because sixty percent of English comes from French. For the past ten years I have been listening to a couple of CD box sets of French language learning. These CDs require no writing, and therefore, are convenient to listen to while sitting on a train, etc. After an enthusiastic start I kind of wavered in my efforts somewhat over the years. But I have recently picked-up my efforts again.

I have been wondering where I stand now in terms of ability, because I haven’t been doing a course, with other students, doing tests and working towards a nationally recognised qualification. I suppose it is this lack of focus, the absence of a goal, which has caused me to drift somewhat when it comes to my language learning efforts. If I knew that I was working towards some kind of exam – I would find out the curriculum and focus on studying with that in mind.

Recently, I did some investigation on the internet to see what the best qualification would be for me. I decided on doing an IGCSE in French – I would have to book the exam soon as an external candidate at a college. Then, I could work towards studying for the exam in May or June next year. If I passed this exam, I would have a nationally recognised qualification in the French language that would “benchmark” my current level of ability.

While I was investigating this qualification, I had all sorts of doubts in my head. There don’t seem to be many colleges in the U.K. who welcome external candidates (exam only students). It would cost about 180 pounds to register for the exam – I wondered if it was really worth the money. But then it dawned on me that it is not just the qualification that I gain from this endeavour – it is the sense of achievement in committing to doing something and seeing it through. There is something gained in committing to something in terms of determination, willpower and dedication – I suppose that is the real prize in goal-setting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment