Pages

Thursday 21 January 2010

Identifying Emotions and Wants

Identifying Emotions

Whilst it is possible to let go of the limitation and find freedom through the identification of the underlying restrictive beliefs through Psychoanalysis - it is not always necessary. An easier and simpler solution is to merely be aware of the negative emotion and let go of that. What makes releasing simple is that the human emotions have been categorised into nine states in the Sedona Method and Release Technique.

These releasing methods also provide a chart with a huge array of synonyms for each of these emotions, which we can use if we ever find ourselves, stuck trying to figure out what emotion we are feeling in any given moment. For instance, synonyms for grief include guilty, hurt, and ashamed. Synonyms for pride include arrogant, gloating, patronizing and pious.

Identifying Wants

We can deepen our experience of releasing by identifying the underlying want or wants that are fuelling the emotions, and release them. Usually, the emotions and wants will go hand, like the want for control will often go with anger; the want for separation often goes with the emotion of pride, and so on.

In many cases, these underlying wants are really quite typical and therefore easy to identify.

For instance, when a person is in a crisis situation and nothing seems to be going right and is trying to figure things out – the underlying want, one of them at least, is the want for control.

If you feel you have not got enough money and the bills are piling up and you wonder whether you will ever have enough money – that is the want for security.

When you go on a date with a person you like and you wonder if they also like you – that is the want for approval.

When Wants are Not Easily Identifiable

There are some situations in which the underling wants are not so immediately apparent. There are some life situations which are complicated, to say the least, and it is difficult to discern why you think, feel and behave the way you do.

A regular pattern which I have noticed on the releasing forums on the Internet is that people will seek advice about what wants they are experiencing in a given set of circumstances. These people will post-up a long essay, providing personal details and in-depth accounts of embarrassing and painful situations which have transpired in their life. I sometimes wonder to myself what the motives for doing this really are: is it for the acceptance or pity of others? I have noticed that members of the releasing community are often quick to respond and willing to help. But they are simply using their own logical reasoning to understand the issues of another person’s life.

The truth of the matter is that everyone is different and a given set of circumstances could trigger different wants in me, for different reasons, than another person. Therefore, it is not entirely possible or practical to seek to compile a compendium of life circumstances, mapping out the underlying wants, together with an analysis of the reasons why these wants are attributed to the situation.

Seeking the Answer Within

A much better solution, the one which the Sedona Method and Release Technique both advocate, is to find the answer within. You can quieten your mind before releasing and ask yourself the question, “Does this come from wanting approval, control, security, separation or oneness?” The last two wants, separation and oneness, are relatively advanced concepts and are included in the Sedona Method basic course, but not in the Release Technique basic course. I will explain the want for separation and oneness in another blog entry later on. This question could be contracted down to, “Does this come from wanting approval, control or security?” We could contract this question down further still by simply asking, “What does it want?”

If you simply wait for the answer, it will come to you from the subconscious mind. I find myself speaking the answer out verbally or I hear it mentally. Other people simply “feel” or “know” the answer when it comes. Sometimes the answer takes several seconds to come to me; sometimes I have to ask the question a second time; but if I am patient and my mind is quiet – the answer will come.

This method is so much more effective than simply second-guessing what want it is. I believe that the effectiveness of releasing lies in the ability to properly identify the core wants in a given situation, before letting it go. Asking your own subconscious mind for the answer gets you in touch with your higher self which knows the answer, rather than relying on another person’s own logical reasoning. This method will always facilitate a substantial release. Once the want has been identified and attributed to a given situation – you gain a greater understanding of yourself. When that situation, feeling and thought pattern arises again in the future – you will know what want it is so you can release it. Be weary though of releasing on similar situations, believing you know what want it is, when you could be wrong. If in doubt, if the underlying want is not immediately apparent, it is best to ask the subconscious mind what want it is.

Articulating the Wants

I find what works well for me is when I articulate the want in the context of the situation in which it arose, before asking the releasing question. For instance, a thought comes to me that my girlfriend has not called me for several days. I start to get worried and all kinds of thoughts run through my mind. I sit down, take some deep breaths and quieten my mind. I ask, “What does it want?” The answer comes to me “approval”. Then, I articulate the following releasing question, “I’m worried because my girlfriend hasn’t called me for a few days. Could I let go of the want for approval?” Then the want releases itself and I feel lighter and less stressed. I find this method is effective in that it “tunes me in” to the want that I’m experiencing in the context of the situation in which I experience it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment