Pages

Sunday 4 July 2010

I Need to Prove to Other People That I am Right…Is It True?

I need to prove to other people that I am right - is it true?

Yes.

Can I absolutely know for certain that that is true?

No.

Who am I with that thought?

When I hold onto the thought that I need to be right, I become very proud. I find that when I am trying to prove that I am right to someone else, and they do not believe in what I say, I find myself getting angry. This anger can manifest itself subtly in the form of sarcasm and in resentment; or this anger can manifest itself explicitly in the form of rage, bitterness and accusation. If I hold on to the thought that I need to be right, I will be more inclined to spend time and energy arguing my case with someone. When I try to argue my case with someone in my own strength, I am more likely to be resentful towards the other person. In fact, if I try to get someone's will agree with me outside of love, I am actually likely to despise the other person.

Love never needs to employ bitterness, resentment and anger towards a person in order to prove a point. I find that love would rather walk away, even when you know for certain that you're right and the other person is wrong, just for the sake of maintaining peace. The very fact that a person has to employ anger and bitterness in order to carry their points across -- shows me that the other person is not ready to receive what I have to say.

I have to also consider the motive for me arguing my point: it's possible that I want the other person to agree with me because I want their approval. Love only seeks to gain the approval or agreement of someone else if it will also benefit the other person, and most certainly, if it is according to God's will. More often than not, my intention is to change and control the person, to look good in front of them and to gain a sense of victory - this is pride. My motive for wanting to correct a person and to change the way they think, should always be motivated out of a sincere desire to help the other person and to benefit their life in some way.

It is perfectly possible that when I try to get another person to agree with me on something -- I could merely be expressing my opinion about something; or I could even be totally wrong. If something is merely an opinion or preference, then perhaps there is no right or wrong answer, as such. Whatever the case may be, a feeling will always let me know if I am moving beyond the boundaries of love. If I am within the confines of love, I will experience peace; if I am moving beyond the boundaries of love I will experience anger, pride or even hatred. When I try to convince someone of something outside of love it always hurts - not only does it hurt me but it usually irritates the other person is well. I tend to find that when I talk to someone from a heart of love, whatever it is that I'm talking about, it is usually well received - even if what I am saying is incorrect or is just a preference.

I have also found that I tend to be naturally drawn to those people who themselves have a heart of love. I find that a person who has a heart of love is someone who is genuine, honest, humble and respectful. There are people who say that they have a heart of love when they don't; such people go to great lengths to prove that they have a heart of love, typically by doing acts of charity and following moral principles. People in the world can just detect false acts of love a mile off.

I would say that people who are determined to force their opinions and beliefs on other people are usually insecure. It is people who are secure in who they are, who are more likely to be humble and keep their beliefs to themselves. Otherwise, if I believe that I need people to agree with me when they don't -- I am likely to take offence to their disagreement. It might be right for that person to disagree with me in that moment. Even if I am right in what I am saying -- it might not be the right time for that person to come into alignment with my beliefs or opinions.

Who would I be without that thought?

I would be calm, humble, and secure in who I am and secure in my own beliefs and preferences. Without the thought that I need other people to agree with me -- I would be respecting the beliefs of other people. Even if somebody does disagree with me, without the thought that they should agree with me, I would just feel okay about it. I would be free from all the typical anxieties and feelings of rejection, which can arise when someone else disagrees with me or expresses a different preference or opinion. Furthermore, if I am not obsessive about getting people to align themselves with my beliefs, I would experience better relationships with other people.

Let's turn it around...

I don't need to prove to other people that I am right.

0 comments:

Post a Comment