Pages

Monday 30 August 2010

I Need More Money…Is It True?

Money!

Photo Money! courtesy of David Beyer.

I Need More Money – Is It True?

Yes.

Can I Absolutely Know for Certain it’s True?

No.

Who Am I With This Thought?

I’m obsessing over details and quantity with this thought. This thought is in the same category as wanting the cost of living to come down and wishing that you had a better job title and salary figure. This is a desire to control certain aspects of my life with the aim of making myself feel happier and more secure.

It seems that whenever the mind is backed into a corner through adversity and scarcity – it latches on to particular ideas of what if feels you need more or less of. The truth of the matter is that even if I had more money or the price of something is reduced – I am still left with my own propensity to worry, get confused and to make poor decisions. Even if I was promoted to a higher grade in my job – I would probably still feel just as insecure and would anticipate the next step up the career ladder. When you are insecure it just seems that you never have enough and that the cost of living is too high. It seems that no amount of money can plug the gap created by insecurity.

What I really need is to find peace in the moment and trust in life (and in God) to meet my needs, as-and-when they arise. A lot of the time I find that anxiety and insecurity leads people to want everything they will ever need – right now! It takes faith to trust that your needs will be met in the moment. It is not an act of faith to try to attract or claim material things from God or the universe – it is an expression of anxiety.

All these thoughts that I need more of this and less of that – they are just the product of an anxious mind. With these thoughts I experience stress.

Who Would I Be Without That Thought?

Without this thought, I would experience peace. I would be able to let go of making demands to God or the universe and trust in Him to bring me what I need, when I need it. It is arrogance and assumption on my behalf to claim that I know what is best for me.

If my mind is calm then I’m in a much better position to make good choices. Everything in life is a choice – whether they are big or small. It is our life choices that determine the course that our lives take. People are paid according to their ability to think fast and make the best choices in the most challenging situations. A clear mind is all that it takes, I believe, in order to live life to the full.

Let’s Turn it Around…

I don’t need more money. I just need to find peace of mind, free of anxious thoughts so that I can make good decisions. Otherwise, I’ll just end up frittering away what I have every time. The way I can find peace is by questioning stressful thoughts as and when they arise. But I find that the mind is reluctant to do that because it wants to make its demands and it wants to hold onto its fantasies and expectations.

0 comments:

Post a Comment