Pages

Friday 17 September 2010

Inner Transformation

There is much debate in Christian circles about the subject of inner transformation. Christianity is seen by many as a means of changing yourself from the inside out: transforming a person mentally, emotional and even physically, for the better. Rules-based Christianity puts the onus on the individual with demands for good works and clean living.

The grace message emphasises resting in the knowledge that your sins have been laid upon Jesus on the cross and you have been given a new nature that does not sin – the divine nature. This change of nature is also known as the new birth or being born again. When Jesus told the religious scholar Nicodemus in John 3:3 that he had to be born again – Nicodemus could not understand Him. It is the same today not only with the Jews (who follow the Old Testament law), but also with most Christians (who seem to follow a mixture of law and grace – self-effort and belief in Jesus).

Inner transformation, whether by self-effort or by faith, is debatable. Some Christians believe that by adhering to morals and making an effort to be a better person – you can be transformed. Some Christians believe that by simply resting your mind on the finished work of the cross, in other words, by faith – you can be transformed. The latter category leads believers to study and meditate upon the Biblical concepts of God’s nature and power abiding in us. The focus on God-in-us leads us away from self-effort and allows us to trust in God to live His life in-and-through us. Bible verses which back-up this concept include: 2 Peter 1:4, Ezekiel 11:19, Romans 5:5, 1 Cor. 12:13 and John 14:16.

I have observed the lives of other Christians over the years and I struggle to see much in the way of inner transformation in them. It seems that most Christians seem to live from their own personality which has been shaped and formed over the years through experience.

I will admit that I studied the Bible a great deal when I came into the revelation of God’s grace towards us. I even tried to verbally declare certain Bible verses in an affirmation style, in the hope that I would experience this new nature in me. I must admit that although I did mature naturally over time, I cannot say that studying the Bible made much of a difference to my life. I have struggled with anxiety for most of my life, even before I was a Christian, and I still do today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment